Search & Win

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Yummy Peanut Stew' Recipe by my friend Kathie at SD Macaroni Kid

I mentioned to friend and fellow San Diego Blogger Kathie Z that I would love to start adding some fun, easy, different recipes not only to my dinner options but also to share with other moms.  I am excited to share this yummy sounding dish with all of you!

I hope you will check out Kathie's blog ~ San Diego Macaroni Kid

I plan on trying this recipe this weekend - try it with me!

One of my friends gave me a cookbook called "Vegetarian Main Dishes
From Around the World" and in it is a delicious Ethiopian recipe
called Shiro Wat (peanut stew). The making of Shiro Wat is easy, but
deciding what to mix in took a little more thought. I was blessed to
inherit my grandmother's cooking genes of "winging it."

While the Shiro Wat was warming on the stove, I made a batch of brown
rice. I then fried up some tofu, peas, black-eyed peas (or pinto
beans), garlic, and added such spices as turmeric and cumin.
When all was done, I put the rice on a plate, added the tofu mixture,
and spooned some of the peanut stew on top. You can make a big batch
of Shiro Wat and have some for the rest of week.

Additionally, you can skip all the extra stuff that I put in (tofu,
peas, etc.) and just pour some of the peanut stew over your favorite
noodles. It's just as delicious!

Shiro Wat Recipe:
1 cup peanut butter
4 tablespoons margarine
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon of a mixture of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
1 teaspoon paprika
2 1/2 cups water
salt and pepper

Heat margarine in a pan and cook the onion for about 3 minutes until
it begins to turn golden. Then add the tomato paste, thyme, mixed
spice and paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine the
ingredients.

When the onion is cooked, put in the peanut butter and enough water to
make a smooth but thick sauce. Stir constantly while you add the water.

Check the seasoning and then let the stew heat through before serving.

Note: You can make this as thick or thin as you like depending on how
much water you add.
Serves 2
 
Enjoy ~
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments family friendly